Smokeless powder in stock, it consists of nitrocellulose (single-base powders), frequently combined with up to 50 percent nitroglycerin (double-base powders), and sometimes nitroglycerin and nitroguanidine (triple-base), corned into small spherical balls or extruded into cylinders or flakes using solvents such as ether.
Other minor ingredients, such as stabilizers and ballistic modifiers, are also added. Double-base propellants are common in handgun and rifle ammunition. Triple-base propellants are more common in artillery guns.
Reasons for smokeless
- The reason that they are smokeless is that the combustion products are mainly gaseous, compared to around 55% solid products for black powder (potassium carbonate, potassium sulfate etc).
- A perfectly matched powder from the R&D team at Vihtavuori. Thanks to input and requests from customers, Vihtavuori is pleased to introduce the latest addition to the N500 series of High Energy powders; the N565.
- Designed to fill the gap between Vihtavuori N560 and N570 high energy rifle powders, the N565 was created specifically for the .338 Lapua Magnum with 250 grain bullets.
- In addition to a precisely tailored burn rate, this powder is extremely temperature stable, giving uniform results across a wide range of environments.
- Vihtavuori also incorporated improved hygroscopic stability and a decoppering agent to ensure a cleaner barrel when shooting. N565 is also REACH compliant without DNT or phthalates.
- Physically, N565 grains have the same size as those of the N560 powder. As all Vihtavuori powders, it flows smoothly through powder measures and ensures good loadability and uniformity.
- The burn rate of the powder is a bit closer to N570, roughly splitting the difference between the two. Vihtavuori N565 is a single perforated extruded powder, having a bulk density of 960 g/l and an energy content of 4000 J/g.
- While N565 was developed specifically for military sniping applications, it also has a wide range of sporting uses, particularly within long range shooting.
- The N565 will prove to be an ideal choice for calibers such as the 7mm Rem. Magnum, the .30-06, .300 Win Mag, .300 Norma Mag as well as the .338 Norma Mag.
Warnings from Manufacturer:
- Do not exceed the loads displayed in the reloaders guide.
- Never mix any two powders regardless of type, brand, or source.
- Never substitute any smokeless powder for Black Powder or any Black Powder substitute.